Lemon Chia Seed Cupcakes
These cupcakes are very sweet and will be popular at a traditional party. Their light refreshing flavor is perfect for spring or summer.
½ c butter or coconut oil
1 ¾ c flour mix (below)
2 teaspoons chia seeds
1 ½ t baking powder
½ t salt
1 c organic (unbleached) sugar
1 ½ t lemon extract
½ t real vanilla
2/3 c Westsoy soymilk, plain and unsweetened
2 t organic lemon zest
½ c tapioca flour
½ c sorghum flour
½ c brown rice flour
½ c garbanzo bean flour
*Save extra flour for gravy or as a thickener for a soup
Lemon Glaze Recipe
1 cup powdered sugar
Juice of lemon
½ t lemon zest
Add 4 teaspoons of lemon juice to powdered sugar and add juice consecutively in ½ t to reach desired consistency. Although it will appear you need more liquid, take the time to stir in the juice completely before adding more liquid. If it gets too thin add powdered sugar. Thinner icing will drip off the sides of the cupcake and make a very thin film on top, whereas thicker icing will drip slightly but will be thicker on top.
- Prepare baking pans with liners, gather ingredients and turn oven to 350 degrees F.
- Always use room temperature eggs in baking.
- Beat butter, sugar, lemon extract and vanilla till fluffy (2-3 min).
- Mix all other dry ingredients.
- Add eggs and lemon zest to butter mixture.
- Add flour a bit at a time to butter mixture.
- Fill baking cups ¾ full.
- Bake 9 min, check with a wooden toothpick. If it is not clean bake up to three more minutes depending on your oven.
- Let cool completely or overnight.
- Ice and decorate with flour petals or sprinkle with chia seeds.